The BC Poverty Reduction Coalition has launched a call to the Government of British Columbia for a comprehensive poverty reduction plan that includes legislated targets and timelines;
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT Vancouver City Council reaffirms its endorsement of the Coalition’s Call for a Poverty Reduction Plan
…. we call upon the province to commit to specific policy measures and concrete actions in each of the following policy areas:
- Provide adequate and accessible income support for the non-employed, and remove policy barriers so that recipients can build and maintain assets.
- Improve the earnings and working conditions of those in the low-wage workforce.
- Improve food security for low-income individuals and families.
- Address homelessness and adopt a comprehensive affordable housing and supportive housing plan.
- Provide universal publicly-funded child care.
- Enhanced support for training and education for low-income people.
- Enhance community mental health and home support services, and expand integrated approaches to prevention and health promotion services.